BOE community meetings on student success|
Board of Education and Department of Education members are visiting communities across the Islands on progress toward supporting greater student success in public schools with an updated Strategic Plan:
- Sharing feedback from the spring 2016 outreach effort, culminating in draft themes:
- a desire to have a well-rounded curriculum that integrates subject matter and goes well beyond reading and math,
a need to embrace the arts, music, history, social studies, and more,
the importance of a caring and supported teacher,
the importance of Hawaiian culture and language,
and the importance of supporting not only the academic growth of our students, but their socio-emotional and physical well-being as well.
Gathering community members' perspectives on draft themes; and
Discussing how community members can contribute to final implementation.
The Strategic Plan is the state's guiding document for public education, and will guide responses to and input for federal law (the Every Student Succeeds Act), Board policies, the state budget cycle and much more. Anyone interested in public education in Hawai'i is invited! Please check our community meetings page frequently for updates. As always, you can continue to contribute to the conversation online via the Strategic Plan blog and on social media (#HIQualityEd).
- Aug. 3, 5-6:30 p.m., Hawai'i Island: Kanu o ka 'Aina Learning 'Ohana,
Halau Ho'olako Building, 'Olu'Olu Room. 65-1043 Hi'iaka Street, Waimea.
- Aug. 8, 5-6:30 p.m., Maui: Baldwin High School Library.
1650 Ka'ahumanu Hwy, Wailuku.
- Aug. 22, 5-6:30 p.m., Oahu: Kailua High School library. 451 Ulumanu Drive, Kailua.
- Aug. 31, 5-6:30 p.m., Oahu: Manoa or Liliha public library. (tentative)
- Sept. 14, 5-6:30 p.m., Kauai: Chiefess Kamakahelei Middle School.
Address: 4431 Nuhou Street, Lihue.
- Sept. 15, 5-6:30 p.m., Oahu: Waianae Public Library, 85-625 Farrington Hwy.
- You can also attend regularly scheduled Board of Education meetings in Honolulu for updates.
ESSA Team town hall meetings
The Governor's ESSA Team is hosting town halls to discuss opportunities for schools under the Every Student Succeeds Act, with the purpose of:
Feedback collected by the ESSA Team will also be used in crafting a final update to the Strategic Plan, which will be presented to the BOE in December.
- creating a shared vision for public education in Hawai'i,
- learning about the opportunities provided by the new ESSA law,
- discussing a future-focused education system for Hawai'i, and
- collecting input, feedback, and advice for a new blueprint for public education in Hawai'i.