Special Meal Accommodations

The Hawai‘i State Department of Education provides modified meal accommodations for children with a disability who are unable to consume the regular breakfast or lunch meal.

Should you need an accessible document or auxiliary aid/service, please contact the School Food Services Branch at (808) 784-5500 or nslp@k12.hi.us.

Our policy is in accordance with USDA Regulation 7 CFR Part 15b which requires substitutions or modifications to school meals for children whose disabilities restrict their diets. This is supported by a signed medical statement (commonly referred to as the J-1 form) from a recognized medical authority (e.g. state-licensed physician, physician’s assistant or advanced practice nurse practitioner).

Memo sent to schools

For more information, please contact specialdiets@k12.hi.us and contact the Special Dietary Designee (SDD) at your child's school.

Additional Information

School carbohydrate counts for school year 2023-2024 will now be available for download on your school's digital menu page linked HERE.

Pork containing foods: view

Click here for more information on nutritional guidelines.

Translated documents by language

CEBUANO (Visayan)
CHINESE (Simplified)
CHINESE (Traditional)


USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Ho‘oha‘aheo newsletter cover

The Department's primary publication featuring successes across our public schools.

View all Ho‘oha‘aheo Newsletters