Power of Attorney

Hawaii and U.S. military law govern how a parent or guardian of a minor may use power of attorney to delegate to another person (within designated constraints) any power regarding the care, custody, or property of the minor or ward.

​The statutes in Hawaii state law and U.S. military law regarding Power of Attorney are as follows:

Hawaii State Law

Hawaii Revised Statutes 560: 5-105

Delegation of power by parent or guardian.  A parent or guardian of a minor or incapacitated person, by a power of attorney, may delegate to another person for a period not exceeding one year, which time limit shall be expressly stated in the document, any power regarding the care, custody, or property of the minor or ward, except the power to consent to marriage or adoption. [L 2004, c 161, pt of §1]


United States Code

USC 10 1044B

§1044b. Military powers of attorney: requirement for recognition by States

(a) Instruments To Be Given Legal Effect Without Regard to State Law.—A military power of attorney—

(1) is exempt from any requirement of form, substance, formality, or recording that is provided for powers of attorney under the laws of a State; and

(2) shall be given the same legal effect as a power of attorney prepared and executed in accordance with the laws of the State concerned.

(b) Military Power of Attorney.—For purposes of this section, a military power of attorney is any general or special power of attorney that is notarized in accordance with section 1044a of this title or other applicable State or Federal law.

(c) Statement To Be Included.—(1) Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary concerned, each military power of attorney shall contain a statement that sets forth the provisions of subsection (a).

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not be construed to make inapplicable the provisions of subsection (a) to a military power of attorney that does not include a statement described in that paragraph.

(d) State Defined.—In this section, the term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and a possession of the United States.




How do I...?


View all FAQ's