When do I enroll my child?
Children who are 5 years old by July 31 enroll in kindergarten for that school year. For example, children who are 5 years old by July 31, 2021 enroll in kindergarten for the 2021-22 school year. Children who turn 5 on August 1 or later enroll the following school year. To learn more about enrolling in school, see here. For more information, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Kindergarten was made mandatory on May 1, 2014. Act 76 amended the Hawaii Revised Statutes,
Section 302A-411 and
302A-1132, which also list exemptions from mandatory attendance.
Readiness for school
Parents and caregivers have the most influence in these key factors that enhance a child’s readiness for school. If you need assistance with these, please see
Support for Parents:
- Ongoing health care, which includes prevention and treatment
- A safe, nurturing environment
- Appropriate rest, nourishment and clothing
- Opportunities for physical activity
- Consistent love, affection and care
- Positive self-concept
- Appropriate social behavior
- Reading, writing and viewing as natural daily activity
- Language development
- Development of thinking
In Kindergarten, teachers begin evaluating students in terms of their success in demonstrating
General Learner Outcomes, behaviors that indicate kids are on the path to becoming engaged, lifelong learners.