In response to the hardships that our public schools have been facing over the course of this pandemic, the Hawai’i State Department of Education (Department) has developed an Educational Plan and Fiscal Plan to sensibly utilize the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER III) federal relief money.
To ensure the provided resources are equitably distributed and address the most pressing impacts of the pandemic, the Department organized priorities in the Educational Plan so that they are included in at least one of three areas of focus:
- Health and Safety
- Social-Emotional Learning
- Accelerated Learning
Within these areas of focus, the Department has collaboratively developed tangible strategies to be implemented throughout the system in order to meet our priorities. These strategies include:
- Healthy Habits, Healthy Schools: Supporting students and staff with their physical, social and emotional well-being through effective systems, processes and strategies will positively impact teaching and learning.
- Action-Oriented Data Decision-Making: Implementing an established process for examining data to make instructional and operational decisions for students and schools.
- Responsive Capacity Building: Providing training, coaching and supports for school leaders, teachers and families to better identify and address the needs of our students and staff.
- Effective Academic Practices: Focusing on accelerating learning through the effective use of varied modalities, including tutoring, out-of-school time, extended time, and other instructional supports for students.
Each school, with guidance and support from their complex area superintendents, is implementing and developing specific programs and interventions based on the needs of their students while also revolving around the pillars of health and safety, accelerated learning and social-emotional learning. Seventeen metrics have been outlined and will be referred to when assessing progress made with expended funds (see pages 18-21).
Finally, the Department established a Fiscal Plan which includes the budgets for the proposed uses of the federal funds. The Fiscal Plan was developed with the intent of fulfilling our priorities and addressing the impacts of COVID-19 in an equitable manner (see pages 22-25).