Students from 11 west and central Oahu schools, grades 4-10, competed in the 2015 Math Games April 10 at the University of Hawaii-West Oahu, using the DimensionU gaming platform that marries interactive, multiplayer games with academic and strategy skills.
Ann Mahi, Complex Area Superintendent for Nanakuli-Waianae, kicked-off the day's event with opening remarks, followed by principals from participating schools sharing some words of encouragement for their respective teams. Supt. Kathryn Matayoshi was also on hand to watch the students compete.
Student teams navigated and advanced through worlds by correctly answering questions. Separate competitions were conducted for elementary and secondary schools, which included a team-based and individual tournament at each level. The competition concluded with teachers jumping into the fray so they could demonstrate their math and gaming prowess to their students. Drew Rosado from Nanakuli High & Intermediate took home the 1st place trophy.
Congratulations to all the competitors!
Waimalu Elementary: Most Questions Answered Correctly
- August Ahrens Elementary: Highest Average Points Per User, DimensionU enrolled school
- Waianae Elementary: Highest Average Points Per User, new school
- Nanaikapono Elementary: Most Student Users
- Nanakuli High & Intermediate: Most Games Played
SCHOOL-LEVEL AWARDS: TEAM (Elementary)
- August Ahrens Elementary
- Waimalu Elementary
- Nanaikapono Elementary
SCHOOL-LEVEL AWARDS: TEAM (Secondary)
- Nanakuli High & Intermediate, GEAR-UP Waianae High team (tied)
SCHOOL-LEVEL AWARDS: INDIVIDUAL (Elementary)
Royca Ilage, grade 6, August Ahrens Elementary
Janelle Carlos, grade 5, Honowai Elementary
- Lui Fuata, grade 4, Nanaikapono Elementary
SCHOOL-LEVEL AWARDS: INDIVIDUAL (Secondary)
Alena Estomage, grade 9,Nanakuli High/Intermediate
- Charley Pittman, grade 10, GEAR-UP Waianae High
- Cheralei Tokunaga-Williams, grade 10, GEAR-UP Waianae High
- Math gaming engages August Ahrens students [view story]
- Star-Advertiser: Video games, math add up to a winner [view story]