About the contest
The Windward District Office is proud to announce that 17 district schools and about 1,700 students participated in the 2nd annual "Be Pono — Be in School" video contest, which produced 49 videos in three categories: Individual (student submitted), Group (multiple students submitted) and School (submission of the whole school). This year, the contest acknowledges entries for primary and secondary schools. Following are a list of winners with their prizes.
Chronic absenteeism is defined as missing 15 or more days of school during the year, and it's one of the strongest predictors of a student's future success in school and life. Schools are evaluated on this effort in the Department's Strive HI Performance System; chronic absenteeism is a Readiness indicator.
Primary school winners
- "Left Behind" - Malakai Holland, Aihaki Elementary, above. Prize: Honolulu Zoo one-year family pass, Waikiki Aquarium day pass for two, two large Papa John's pizza coupons.
- "Magic Package" - Sunset Beach Elementary, above. Prize: Pizza Hut Party ($75 in Pizza Hut credit).
- "How You Get to School" - Sunset Beach Elementary. Prize: 17 Jamba Juice smoothie coupons.
- "Good, Better, Best" - Enchanted Lake Elementary. Prize: Two Sea Life Park day passes for 2, two Large Papa John's pizza coupons.
- "This is Bob" - Aikahi Elementary, above. Prize: $300 cash.
- "In Order to Be Successful in Life..." - Sunset Beach Elementary. Prize: $200 cash.
- "Good Students, They're Always Here" - Keolu Elementary. Prize: $100 cash.
Secondary school winners
- TIE: Raleigh Harris, Castle High (top of page), and Isaiah Ruiz, Olomana School, above. Prize: Each student receives a Heather Brown Art beach towel, a $50 iTunes gift card, one Large Papa John's pizza coupon, one dozen malasadas at Agnes' Bakery.
- Hayley Ikeda, Kalaheo High School. Prize: $30 certificate for Big City Diner, 1 dozen malasadas at Agnes' Bakery.
- "Bored With School" - Castle High School, above. Prize: Whole Foods Pizza Party, four Jamba Juice smoothie coupons, 1 dozen malasadas at Agnes' Bakery.
- "When You Ditch" - Kailua Intermediate School. Prize: Four Large Papa John's pizza coupons, Glow Putt Golf passes for 10, 1 dozen malasadas at Agnes' Bakery.
- "Saturday School" - Kahuku High & Intermediate. Prize: Polynesian Cultural Center passes for 10, seven coupons for a dozen malasadas from Agnes' Bakery.
Windward District staff would like to thank its diverse panel of local judges:
- Elizabeth Ratliff, Associate Professor and Media Specialist, Windward Community College
- Irwin Yamamoto, Professor in Digital Media Production Dept., Leeward Community College
- Mark Nitta, Information Technology Services, Hawaii Pacific University
- Becky Dunning, Managing Director, Hawaii Theatre for Youth
- Chesley Cannon, Resident Designer, Hawaii Theatre for Youth
- Stacy Paris, Communications Freelancer, former KGMB anchor
- Lisa Higuchi, works for Asylum Entertainment, an award winning television production company
- Sunny Kharbanda, Animation Instructor, Leeward Community College
- Cassandra Caldarone, Media Specialist, Le Jardin Academy
- Rebecca Postema, Media Specialist, Le Jardin Academy