Fabella, Tolentino and Whitney are participants in
HIKI NO, PBS Hawaii's weekly student news show that features work from more than 80 schools across the Islands.
From the PBS NewsHour
The PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs (@reportinglabs) has selected 18 fellows to participate in the first SRL Academy in Washington, D.C., this June and July. Middle and high school fellows will work alongside public media mentors to produce original news content. They also will help program leaders develop strategies to engage young people in news and current affairs and ensure that youth voices are active in the conversations about critical issues facing the nation.
Fellows were chosen by a selection committee composed of the Student Reporting Labs staff and teachers.
“The students are coming from all over the country to celebrate their amazing journalistic accomplishments and help us build an even better program,” said Leah Clapman, Managing Editor, Education. “Our shared mission is to create learning experiences that inspire young people to be active citizens and solution-seekers.”
The 2015 SRL Academy Class (in alphabetical order):
- Georgie Abbey, Royal Oak High School
- Annie Collick, Royal Oak High School
- Isabel Evans, Philip’s Academy Charter School
- John Fabella, Maui Waena Intermediate School
- Chloe Golan, Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High
- Evan Gulock, Royal Oak High School
- Alexander Lischak, Trumbull Career & Technical
- Alex Maxwell, Judge Memorial Catholic High School
- Sydney Payne, Carlsbad High School
- Keenan Penn II, Fraser High School
- Alizah Rizvi, Philip’s Academy Charter School
- Ben Root, Stephen F. Austin High School
- Jakira Smith, Free Spirit Media
- Giel Marie Tolentino, Maui High School
- Alex Trevino, Stephen F. Austin High School
- Nicholas Weiss, Cedar Crest High School
- Zoe Whitney, Maui High School
- Erykah Williams, Vista PEAK Preparatory
You can follow the work of the first cohort of SRL Academy students on
their Tumblr. View the Maui students' submission videos below.
Giel Marie Tolentino