Applying to teach: Overview
If you meet the
requirements for teaching and have a strong desire to nurture and develop students to become contributing members of an educated society, the Department encourages you to apply for teaching or specialist positions in Hawaii’s public schools. School librarians and school counselors are specialist positions.
If you qualify and successfully complete the application process, your name enters the Department’s teacher hiring pool. The Personnel Regional Office refers a list of eligible applicants to each vacancy for employment consideration and selection. The school principal and/ or designated representative(s) will interview and consider referred candidates and make a final selection for the vacancy. This process permits selection of the best qualified candidate for each teaching assignment.
Qualified applicants from the teacher applicant pool will be referred by matching the requirements of the vacancy with each candidate’s comparative strengths based on the Department’s assessments of application information, including academic preparation, teaching experience, personal interview results, college transcripts, geographic and grade level placement preferences, and other sources of information. Depending on the hiring demands for your teaching specialty, you may be referred to many school interviews before being selected for employment from the teacher applicant pool.
You may still apply to teach at the Hawai‘i DOE if you don't meet our recruitment priorities listed below, but these are our key areas of focus and need:
- Special Education (K-12)
- Secondary English, Secondary Mathematics, Secondary Science
- American Sign Language (ASL) Deaf Education Teachers and Auditory-Oral Deaf Education Teachers
- Willing to teach in hard-to-staff locations (Hawaii District: Kau, Keaau, and Pahoa complexes on the island of Hawaii; Maui District: Hana complex on the island of Maui, Island of Lanai, and Island of Molokai; Leeward District: Nanakuli and Waianae complexes on the island of Oahu)
- Willing to teach in West Maui (Lahaina)
What you must submit
Application. Please apply online via our
eHR system, or obtain an application by contacting one of the Teacher Recruitment offices below.
- Verification of Employment: For those who have contracted teaching experience. [VIEW]
Please contact Teacher Recruitment:
- Phone: 808-441-8444
Mail: State of Hawaii, Department of Education, Teacher Recruitment Section,
P.O. Box 2360,
Honolulu, HI 96804