The Board of Education's Family and Community Engagement/Partnership Policy 101-14 "recognizes that a child's growth and educational success are responsibilities and goals shared by the Department of Education, communities, schools, and families. It follows that achievement of these goals depends on the establishment of a broad array of informed partnerships among stakeholders that address the strengths and needs of all students."
The mission of Parent-Community Networking Centers (PCNCs) is to develop a sense of community and a caring learning network to strengthen family, neighborhood, school, and classroom for every student's well-being. To uphold the standards set by Policy 101-14, PCNCs support the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of family and community engagement/partnerships based upon national evidence-based best practices including but not limited to:
- Standard 1: Welcoming all families into the school community. Families are active participants in the life of the school and feel welcomed, valued, and connected to each other, to school staff, and to what students are learning and doing in class.
- Standard 2: Communicating effectively. Families and school staff engage in regular two-way, meaningful communication about student learning.
- Standard 3: Supporting student success. Families and school staff continuously partner to support students' learning and healthy development both at home and at school, and have regular opportunities to strengthen their knowledge and skills to do so effectively.
- Standard 4: Speaking up for every child. Families are empowered to be advocates for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and have access to learning opportunities that will support their success.
- Standard 5: Sharing power. Families and school staff are equal partners in decisions that affect children and families and together inform, influence, and create policies, practices, and programs.
- Standard 6: Engaging/partnering with community. Families and school staff engage/partner with community members to connect students, families, and staff to expanded learning opportunities, community services, and civic participation."
Please get in touch with
schools directly about their PCNC.