Offices and Branches
The Department’s state-level offices are responsible for curriculum vision and framework, compliance with state and federal regulations, student testing and support, data management, civil rights, education improvement, military outreach and statewide internal and external communications. The 15 Complex Area Superintendents report to the Deputy Superintendent.
Office of the Superintendent
The Superintendent of Education is responsible for efficiently and effectively administering the public school system in accordance with law and educational policies adopted by the Board of Education. These offices report to the Office of the Superintendent:
INTERNAL AUDIT OFFICE
Internal Audit Office provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services to add value and improve the Department’s operations and internal control structures. The Internal Audit Office presents directly before the Superintendent and Board of Education the results of its reviews. Contact: 808-586-3325.
MONITORING & COMPLIANCE OFFICE
Evaluates the Department’s compliance with federal laws, U.S. Department of Education requirements, and Board of Education administrative rules and policies related to the implementation of ongoing federally funded programs. Contact: 808-586-3447.
OFFICE OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
To advance innovative and responsive instructional design and support systems to enable positive outcomes and reduce gaps for all student learners. Includes the Extended Learning Branch and Instructional Support Branch. Contact 808-305-9704.
OFFICE OF FISCAL SERVICES
Manages the Department’s accounting,
budget and procurement activities and systems to serve the needs of the schools, complex areas and the central office. Responsible for developing and implementing long-term and short-term financial activities; leading the department’s accounting, budgeting and procurement operations; and providing timely, accurate and user-friendly information and reports in each of the respective areas, with clear guidelines and procedures that are aligned with the Strategic Plan. Contact: 808-586-3737.
OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
Exercises technical oversight of information and telecommunication systems, facilities, and services of the public school system and department-wide operations to ensure that information technology and telecommunications support are being provided efficiently and effectively, and in accordance with laws, policies, and accepted principles of management. Contact: 808-586-3307.
OFFICE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES AND SUPPORT SERVICES
Exercises technical staff oversight of business, construction and maintenance of
food services and
transportation support for the public school system. Develops and administers administrative rules and regulations, publishes operational guidelines and provides related in-service training, monitoring and technical assistance to schools to ensure that the support is being provided in accordance with laws, policies and accepted principles of management. Contact: 808-784-5000.
OFFICE OF STRATEGY, INNOVATION AND PERFORMANCE
Designed to systemize and support ongoing cycles of continuous improvement. Includes
data governance and
data analysis efforts. Contact: 808-586-3400. It also includes:
- the Communications Branch (808-586-3232, or email@example.com), subscribe to the Hawaii DOE's newsletters by clicking the Subscribe button in the footer of this website. View an archive of all newsletters here.
- the Community Engagement Branch (808-348-3944), reponsibilities include Corporate & Community Partnerships, Community Children's Councils, School Community Councils, A+ Program, Hawaii Keiki Initiative,the R.E.A.C.H. Initiative, 21st Century Community Learning Centers, and more.
- the School Transformation Branch, which builds capacity and provides supplementary support to the schools identified in the lowest performing 15 percent of Hawaii’s public schools as determined through the Strive HI Performance System. STB will coordinate school improvement efforts in line with the Department’s Strategic Plan and the U.S. Department of Education’s turnaround principles.
OFFICE OF STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES
Provides support and guidance to ensure students have the necessary academic, social, emotional, and behavioral supports needed to promote excellence and equity for every learner. Includes the Student Services Branch and the Exceptional Supports Branch, which includes the Special Education Section. Contact 808-305-9750.
OFFICE OF TALENT MANAGEMENT
The former Office of Human Resources has been renamed Office of Talent Management to reflect a strategic and thoughtful approach to develop and protect our greatest asset, our employees. The approach is focused on Talent Aquisition, Talent Development and Talent Retention — the lifetime experience of an employee while in the organization. Operationally, OTM administers a comprehensive personnel program for certificated, classified and casual employees of the public school system; develops and administers administrative rules and regulations; publishes operational guidelines; and provides centralized employment and personnel administration services to schools, district and state offices. Contact: 808-441-8300. It also includes:
- The Civil Rights Compliance Branch, which addresses discrimination in the department, and promotes equal opportunity in educational programs and activities for students and in employment for applicants and employees. It is responsible for the Department compliance with State and Federal non-discrimination laws. We believe that every child should learn in an environment free from discrimination, and every employee should thrive in a workplace that embraces diversity, excellence and respect. Contact: 808-586-3322.
- The Leadership Institute, esigned to increase attention and support around the development of effective school, complex area and state leaders, with a focus on reshaping the culture for learning in schools to achieve lasting, sustainable conditions for student success. Contact: 808-305-4461.
Office of the Deputy Superintendent
The Deputy Superintendent assists the Superintendent of Education in executing duties and responsibilities of the office, and is delegated authority to act for the Superintendent of Education. The Deputy Superintendent is responsible for leading, directing and supervising the academic/education programs of the Department of Education. These offices report to the Deputy Superintendent:
All Department schools are rolled into what's known as a Complex: A high school and the elementary and middle schools that feed into it. Anywhere from two to four Complexes are grouped into a Complex Area, which has its own Complex Area Superintendent (CAS) and support staff.
View Complex Area directory.
Develops and implements initiatives and programs to facilitate interaction between the Department and the Islands’ military community through the Joint Venture Education Forum and other identified community groups. View information for our
Military Families. Contact: 808-271-5724.