Adult Education

The Adult Education Program offers a variety of courses for adult learners including basic education, English literacy and civics. It also offers degrees including the GED and Competency-Based Diploma. The adult schools also coordinate the Department's substitute teacher course.

​Adult Education Program

The Department's program includes a variety of courses for adult learners, with integrated programs and services in the areas of basic education, hawaii adult community school diploma, family literacy, citizenship, workforce education and life enhancement.​​ These courses are run out of the Department's 10 Community Schools for Adults (CSAs).


The two primary CSA campuses are at McKinley and Waipahu high schools, with eight satellite sites. Contact the school nearest you for class schedules, substitute courses, transcripts and education verification requests. (For general information about the Adult Education program, contact Hilary Apana-McKee or Deborah Miyao, at 808-305-9755.)

Island School Address Phone Fax
Oahu McKinley Community School (MCSA)634 Pensacola Street
Honolulu, HI 96814
(808) 594-0540 (808) 594-0544
Oahu MCSA-Farrington Campus
1564 N. King Street, Room U-101
Honolulu, HI 96819
(808) 305-5252​ (808) 832-3598
Kauai MCSA-Kauai Campus3607A Lala Road, P-12
Lihue, HI 96766
(808) 274-3390 (808) 274-3393
Maui MCSA-Maui Campus179 Kaahumanu Avenue
Kahului, HI 96732
(808) 873-3082 (808) 873-3046
Oahu MCSA-Moanalua Campus2825-A Ala Ilima Street
Honolulu, HI 96818
(808) 837-8466 (808) 831-7926
Oahu Waipahu Community School (WCSA)94-1211 Farrington Highway
Waipahu, HI 96797
(808) 528-9577 (808) 675-0259
Hawaii WCSA-Hilo Campus155 W. Kawili St. P27
Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 974-4100 (808) 974-6170
Hawaii WCSA-Kona Campus74-5062 Onipaa Street​
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808) 313-3032(808) 327-4693
Oahu WCSA-Wahiawa Campus1515 California Avenue
Wahiawa, HI 96786
(808) 305-3200 (808) 621-7765
Oahu WCSA-Windward Campus730 Iliaina Street
Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 254-7955 (808) 254-7958


GED (General Educational Development) Program in Hawaii: The GED test provides a valid means of measuring the educational achievement of adults who have not graduated high school and of comparing their academic competence with that of high school graduates. Individuals who successfully complete the test battery will receive an official GED transcript and may qualify for the Hawaii Adult Community School Diploma. The diploma may provide graduates the opportunity to enter the military service, gain college admission, increase income, increase job qualifications or assist in obtaining work advancement.

Competency-Based Community School Diploma Program: Enables adult learners to become (1) functionally literate adults; (2) productive and contributing citizens/ community members; (3) effective family members; and (4) productive workers. The curriculum is aligned to the adult learner standards, Equipped for the Future, and the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System Life and Work competencies. Please review our program requirements.

Kupono Diploma Program: ​​The Hawaii State Department of Education (HIDOE) Kupono Diploma Program​​ grants honorary high school diplomas to World War II, Korean and Vietnam War veterans, and individuals whose schooling was interrupted due to internment in relocation camps during World War II.

GED Verification

GED Verification Requests made by verification vendors can be sent via email ( or fax (808-733-4730). To ensure a prompt response, include a return email or fax number.  If the individual making the request knows which campus they obtained their GED credentials from, please call the Community School directly using the directory above. For Saint Louis School inquiries, please call their registrar directly at 808-739-4729​.

Substitute Teacher Course

The Department's CSAs coordinate the in-person substitute teacher course. (You may also choose to take the course online; contact the McKinley Community School.) You will need to have an Approval Notice from the school at which you wish to substitute teach before you can register for the course. Please review the information on our Substitute Teaching page. When you have your Approval Notice in hand, please contact the CSA close to you or McKinley CSA to register for the class.

Campaign Image

How do I...?


View all FAQ's