Requirements: Class of 2014 and 2015
High school graduation requirements of the Hawaii public schools, grades 9-12 include 24 credits for the High School Diploma or 25 credits for the Board of Education Recognition Diploma. If you have any questions regarding these graduation requirements, please see your school counselor or principal.
| ||HS DIPLOMA ||BOE DIPLOMA|
(note 1) ||4 credits||4 credits|
(note 2) ||4 credits ||4 credits |
|Mathematics||3 credits |
|Science||3 credits ||3 credits
|Physical Education (P.E.)
(note 5)||1 credit ||1 credit |
|Health||1/2 credit ||1/2 credit |
|Personal Transition Plan ||1/2 credit ||1/2 credit |
Two credits in one of the following:
- World Language (same language)
- Fine Arts
- Career and Technical Education
|Electives (Any Subject Area) ||6 credits ||5 credits|
|Senior Project ||not required ||1 credit |
24 credits ||
- English shall include English Language Arts 1 (1 credit) and English Language Arts 2 (1 credit).
- To include Modern History of Hawaii (1/2 credit) and Participation in a Democracy (1/2 credit).
- Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II or the equivalent. Must meet standard on Algebra II End of Course Exam.
(In lieu of the Algebra II EOC, students may also take the ACT (cut score: 22) or SAT math (cut score: 510).)
- To include 2 credits in Biology, Chemistry and/or Physics.
- P.E. includes a required 1/2 credit course, P.E. Lifetime Fitness, and a second 1/2 credit P.E. basic elective.
- Credits earned must be in the same language, e.g., 2 credits in French, NOT 1 credit in French and 1 credit in Japanese.
High School Diploma: The High School Diploma shall be issued to students who have met all graduation requirements by demonstrating proficiency in the Hawaii Content and Performance Standards and General Learner Outcomes in the required courses.
Board of Education (BOE) Recognition Diploma: A Board of Education Recognition Diploma with honors shall be issued to students who meet the course and credit requirements and attain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
To students who meet the requirements, the BOE Recognition Diploma is awarded:
- Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.0 to 3.5
- Magna Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.5+ to 3.8, and
- Summa Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.8+ and above.
Certificate of Completion: The Certificate of Completion of an Individually Prescribed Program (IPP) shall be issued to a student with a disability who completes all the requirements set by the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Commencement Exercises: Students shall be permitted to participate in commencement exercises if they:
- meet the requirements for a diploma or a certificate;
- have fulfilled their financial obligations; and
- meet other conditions, established by the Department of Education, which meet the standards of clarity, reasonableness, and justifiability.