On Nov. 19, 2020, the Department released Strive HI Performance System results for School Year 2019-20, the eighth year under the state-designed school improvement and accountability system, and the fourth and final aligned to the 2017-20 Strategic Plan and new requirements of federal law.
Due to the unusual circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, HIDOE, along with many other states, received a waiver from federally required standardized testing, associated accountability, school identification, and reporting requirements for the school year 2019-20. As a result, academic proficiency, achievement gap, academic growth and third and eighth grade literacy data were not reported in this year’s annual Strive HI update. The waiver does not apply to this current school year.
Schools have access to student summative assessment scores from prior years, report card grades and formative assessments to monitor student progress during this unique year. Teachers were also encouraged to create classroom assessments at the beginning of each grade level or course this year to help inform instruction to meet student needs – a proactive approach that is in line with national guidance to accelerate learning and mitigate learning loss.
Of the available 2019-20 Strive HI data, key statewide results included:
- Inclusion rates increased statewide — up 4 percentage points over the year prior (to 48%).
- An 11 point gain from 2016’s baseline of 37%.
- Continuing a strong readiness trend, more students are completing Career & Technical Education (CTE) programs by the 12th grade — up 2 percentage points over the year prior (to 58%).
- A 20 point gain from 2016’s baseline of 38%.
- The Statewide Snapshot: A one-page summary of statewide student and school performance on metrics across grade spans as well as those that are specific to elementary, middle and high schools.
- The Strive HI Master Data File: Spreadsheet with comprehensive data across all measures for each school (some data are suppressed to protect student privacy at schools with small populations).
- The Strive HI Technical Report: provides detail on how the measures are calculated.
- School Performance Reports: Each school's report provides a snapshot of key indicators. You can use the Report Finder to search for reports by school and school year, or:
- Public Schools: Use the School Finder tool to find the school page you're looking for. Each school page has a link to its performance report. (To better understand how to read these reports, please view this sample annotated report.) For a small number of schools, details from these reports are not publicly available because of the small student population; data are suppressed to protect student privacy.
- Charter Schools: Reports are available on the Charter Schools' page.