Strategic Plan Dynamic Report
Data about the K-12 public school system
in Hawai‘i aligned with the 2017-2020 Strategic Plan. This information
is presented annually to the Board of Education to track progress to
state-level targets and to review what is and isn't working. It is a
public resource so all stakeholders may easily view how the public
school system is doing across a range of key performance indicators.
Superintendent's Annual Report
Performance and improvement information about Hawaii's public schools. The
Superintendent's Annual Report profiles noteworthy academic events, trends and outcomes at the state and complex-area level. It includes tables, figures and narrative sections related to demographic, financial and educational performance. Also, comparisons to other states with characteristics similar to Hawaii are provided to illustrate relative progress or status on specific indicators.
Weighted Student Formula: The
Weighted Student Formula (WSF) is a fair and equitable way to distribute funds for school budgets. The amount of money given to a school is based on individual student need, not enrollment. This means that students with more needs will receive more resources. Funding follows students to whichever schools they attend, equalizing opportunities at the student level. The WSF informs the development of each school's Academic Financial Plan, which the community can help craft by joining a
School Community Council.
Annual Financial Report:
The Department presents its
Annual Financial Report to inform the public of the total cost of public education in Hawaii. It is a key component of department accountability and public transparency. The Annual Financial Report provides both Operating and Capital Improvement Project fund information, including operating revenues, receipts and expenditures. We have included operational costs such as repairs and maintenance of school facilities, and other expenses incurred by state and county agencies for public education purposes.
Annual Financial and Single Audit Report:
annual audit provides an objective third-party examination of the presentation of the Department's financial statements for the most recent fiscal year, coordinated by the State of Hawaii's Office of the Auditor.
State Educational Facilities Improvement (SEFI) Special Fund Report: The fund is used solely to plan, design, acquire lands for, and construct public school facilities and to provide equipment and technology infrastructure to improve public schools and other facilities under the jurisdiction of the DOE, except public libraries. In addition, activities of the DOE intended to eliminate the gap between the facility needs of schools and available resources shall be eligible for funding from the special fund.
College & Career Readiness Indicators Reports: CCRI reports have been developed through the Hawaii P-20 statewide partnership in conjunction with the Department and the University of Hawaii. This report presents information on how well Hawaii’s graduates are prepared to meet the
Vision of a High School Graduate. Indicators selected for this report are based on their impact on improving student readiness for the workforce or postsecondary education.
- Hawaii Data eXchange Partnership (Hawaii DXP): View reports from the cross-agency data arm of Hawaii P-20.
- Strive HI Reports: Statewide and school data from our accountability and performance system are posted to the Strive HI section of this website. Annual reports are produced in the fall.
- School Quality Survey: Teachers, students, parents, administrative office staff, and instructional support staff give their opinions of school quality in this annual survey.
- Legislative Reports: The Department annually produces reports on the education-related bills and resolutions passed in the regular session from the previous year in the Hawaii State Legislature. Annual reports additionally requested by the Legislature are also produced.
- Special Education Performance Report: In accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act: Part B, and Public Law 108-446, the Department makes available to the public its annual Special Education Performance Report that evaluates the State's efforts to implement the requirements and purposes of IDEA Part B and describes how the State will improve such implementation.
- Employment Report: An
annual summary of employment figures and characteristics of newly-hired teachers and classified support services personnel for the school year as well as data from prior years. The Office of Human Resources is focused on increasing the number of highly qualified professionals in Hawaii's public schools. To achieve its goal, it has implemented cyclical and year-round recruitment activities to maintain a viable pool of eligible applicants to fill school vacancies.
- Internal Audits: The
Internal Audit Office provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services to add value and improve the Department’s operations and internal control structures. Its primary responsibilities include reviewing the effectiveness of the internal control structure, identifying opportunities for process and control improvements that would mitigate risk exposures, monitoring compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures, investigating allegations of fraudulent and/or unethical behavior, and sharing best practices throughout the Department.